Mary Poppins on Broadway
A Practically Perfect Evening
While I'm eternally envious of my Orlando colleagues, there's one advantage I have over them. I can hop on the train and in a bit over an hour, I'm in New York's Grand Central Station.
Months ago we ordered tickets to see Mary Poppins at Disney's New Amsterdam Theater. Finally, October 28 arrived and the four of us were on our way.
Its been years since we've been to a show at the New Amsterdam. If you guess "Lion King" you're wrong. When Disney first restored this theater and was preparing for Lion King, they had special showings of "Hercules" that included a stage show. This is when we first saw this theater's restoration results.
Picture a time when theaters were part of the event. This was the New Amsterdam back in 1903. This ornate venue became the home of the equally elaborate Zeigfield Follies. Over the years, it fell into disrepair until Disney stepped in. Now it has all of the fantastic paintings, carvings, woodwork and tapestry that it was first known for. "Lion King" has recently been moved to the Minskoff theater to make way for this production of "Mary Poppins."
We step into the lobby and when we saw the ticket takers, my husband joked "they look like they're from the Tower of Terror." I've got to admit, the costumes are very similar. Fortunately, no elevators were needed to get to our seats.
Here's a Disney shocker. Before they let you into the main theater, you wait in a vestibule where there's a (get ready for the surprise) souvenir stand! Earlier in the week I read how the Mary Poppins Parrot handled umbrellas are just flying off the shelf. You know where this is going, I had to have one. Why? I make it my personal mission to make sure that Mickey keeps smiling.
In we go. We had fantastic Orchestra seats in the 4th row from the stage. My husband heads to the lounge and returns with the "Perfectly Pomegranate Perfectly Peach Prim and Proper Punch." Here's the deal at this theater. You can't bring drinks inside but if it happens to be in the Mary Poppins souvenir cup it's okay. And, with the show drink, if you pre-order a refill for pick up during Intermission, its half price. The first drink is $13 (in the cup of course) and the refill is $6.50 (in yet another cup) so for $19.50 you get two, count 'em, two souvenir cups plus the two drinks.
(There's also a non-alcoholic special "Sip and Sweep" drink.)
There's something so magical about Broadway. There we are in a legendary theater, the lights dim, the orchestra starts and I literally get chills from being in that moment.
Gavin Lee portrays Bert the Chimney Sweep. He's the award nominated actor from the London Mary Poppins production. In the play, he's not only the Sweep, he's also the show's narrator.
Mary Poppins is played by Ashley Brown. She was one of the 746 Belle's from Broadway's Beauty and the Beast. She had that "practically perfect" air about her and a smile that lit up the theater.
We expected to see the movie on stage, but the play's storyline is different. We weren't disappointed at all as that made it a new and unexpected experience. (The songs from the movie are all there, plus a few new ones.)
The staging is amazing. Most of the action centers around the Banks house on 17 Cherry Tree Lane. This three story edifice fills the stage. When it retracts, the attic (where the Banks children's bedroom is located) descends to stage level.
The actors portraying the Banks family and their staff are outstanding. There's always the fear that the "precocious" level will be a bit too high when it comes to child actors, but "Michael and Jane" were wonderful.
It's hard to say which one number was a show-stopper. "Jolly Holiday", Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and "Spoonful of Sugar" come to mind, but if I had to pick, "Step in Time" is the one that stood out from the rest. Tap-dancing chimney sweeps fill the stage in this rousing number. The standout is Bert who (thanks to Disney magic) walks up a wall, dances across the ceiling, and walks down the other side. WOW!!
On the other end of the spectrum, the beautiful "Feed the Birds" is the same quiet, heart tugging number as in the screen version of Mary Poppins. (Bring the Kleenex.)
There's kite flying and "nanny" flying as well. Suffice it to say, the finale will leave you wide eyed in amazement, but I don't want to spoil it for those of you who plan on going. (I probably said too much already.)
The play ended with a well deserved standing ovation. I couldn't believe it when I looked at my watch and almost 3 hours had gone by! (I also wondered how the heck we were going to catch the 11:10pm train.)
With the Parrot head umbrella, T-shirt and two souvenir cups in tow, we sprinted to Grand Central. So ended our "
practically perfect" evening at Disney's "Mary Poppins, the new Musical."
This play is still in previews but will be officially opening in November. If you're thinking of going, get those tickets now as this is definitely going to be a smash hit.
- Limited Time Magic: Secret Santa Week - Visit the Town Square Christmas Tree on Main Street and see Duffy in his Christmas outfit. Other Disney characters will be located around the park. Get a special decorated keepsake card from each one as a souvenir.
- Limited Time Magic: Tour the Magic Kingdom with Phil Holmes - 25 lucky guests will get to tour the park with current Vice President Phil Holmes.
- Blog - Best Places to View EPCOT’s Illuminations: Reflections of Earth
- VIDEO: Holiday Storytellers - The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs - New to Holidays Around The World 2013 at Epcot in 2013 are the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs. The Canadian Holiday Voyageurs play multiple sets each day filled with Christmas songs done the Canadian way on the Mill Stage.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Jonathan Groff from FROZEN
- Guests at All Star Resorts will no longer receive Key to the World cards - As of 12/2/13, guests at All Star Sports Resort will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in. This will begin at All Star Music on 12/4/13 and at All Star Movies on 12/6/13. This system is already in place at Pop Century.
- VIDEO: it's a small world Holiday Full POV Ride-Through - The happiest cruise that ever sailed gets even merrier for the holidays. it's a small world, the 1964 World's Fair attraction that came to Disneyland in 1966, gets a full overlay for the holiday season including decorations and a new soundtrack!
- Atlanta Braves spring training tickets now on sale - The Atlanta Braves return to ESPN Wide World of Sports for their annual spring training. Tickets are first come/first served and the games take place at Champion Stadium.
- Blog - Give Kids the World Village and Giving Tuesday December 3, 2013
- VIDEO: Gran Fiesta Tour POV Ride-Through - Donald Duck disappears on his way to a Three Caballeros performance in Mexico City and his friends, José Carioca and Panchito Pistoles, set out to search for him.
- Blog - Brewing Now: Joffrey’s Disney Parks Collection of Coffees
- Blog - A Brit’s Perspective – Visiting the UK in Orlando
- Specialty food and drink offered for holidays at Epcot - New this holiday season, each country will be serving a specialty food and drink.
- New bus loop at Magic Kingdom open - In addition to regular single stops, there are several double stops that will accommodate two regular buses or one of the new articulated buses.
- Limited Time Magic: Donate a Duffy the Disney Bear to Toys for Tots - Visit the Once Upon a Toy store or the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney and with every $5 purchase, Disney will donate a Duffy the Disney Bear toy to Toys for Tots.
- Limited Time Magic: Jolly Year of the Ear - Celebrate the season in style with Santa Mickey and Minnie Santa ear hats - only available for a short time at the Emporium at Magic Kingdom.
- Times and dates for Epcot holiday storytellers - Each country has its own special theme that highlights its culture. Storytellers will delight you with tales of their heritage and how the holidays are celebrated in their homeland.
- VIDEO: "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen in Celebrate the Magic - This holiday season, "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen is featured in Celebrate the Magic, the nighttime projection show on Cinderella Castle.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Plaza - Cinderella Castle November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Happy Thanksgiving from the Magic Kingdom!
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street U.S.A. Bridge - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Blog - Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: Turnstile-Free!
- New holiday entertainment for the Canada pavilion at Epcot - Follow the Canadian Holiday Voyageurs on a musical tour to discover the country's holiday customs.
- Blog - Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights 101
- Royal Caribbean is offering a $200 Onboard Credit and 50% Reduced Deposit! - The offer is only available for booking on December 2, 3 and 4, 2013.
- Disney Vacation Club members offered event at Splitsville Luxury Lanes - On December 2 and 9 from 5-6:45pm, the experience will include bowling, shoe rental, a shared appetizer, an entree (or kids' meal), a signature beverage and a special DVC gift.
- Several rehabs added for early 2014 - The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Festival of the Lion King, Kali River Rapids, and the Studio Backlot Tour have all been added to the rehab list.
- Aulani named Best for Families by Fodor's Travel - Aulani was recently named "Best for Families" by Fodor's Travel in their "Top 10 Hawaiian Resorts for 2013" list.
- Blog - Review: “Frozen”
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A. - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Main Street Train Station - Main Street U.S.A., November 11, 2013 - Night
- Limited Time Magic: Thanksgiving Treats Available - Special treats will be available at various locations in the theme parks.
- New Year's Eve dining info for Swan and Dolphin Hotels - The restaurants of the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin will be offering special New Year's Eve menus.
- Walt Disney World Annual Passholders can save up to 37% at select hotels - Discount is valid for travel between 1/4/14-3/18/14, 3/14/14-3/29/14, 1/19/14-3/13/14 and 3/30/14-4/12/14.
- Blog - Why I’m excited to take my baby on a Disney Cruise!
- Limited Time Magic: Jingle Cruise poster giveaway - Celebrate the Jingle Cruise at Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Park with a complimentary mini poster while supplies last.
- Several rehabs scheduled for the Magic Kingdom - Among the closings are The Plaza Restaurant, Pinocchio Village Haus, Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover, Barnstormer, and the Liberty Square Riverboat.
- Blog - Disney’s Newest Animated Feature “Frozen” Flurries Into Theme Parks On Both Coasts
- The Comedy Warehouse Holiday Special to return? - Rumors are that the popular holiday version of The Comedy Warehouse will be returning to Hollywood Studios this year.
- Blog - EXCLUSIVE: Nikon becomes the Official Camera of Walt Disney World and Disneyland
- VIDEO: Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2013 - What happens when you combine one 30,000 pound, 65 foot tree, one 40 foot star, 5500 twinkling lights, 430 feet of garland, 325 ornaments, 275 feet of strung popcorn, 400 flickering candles, 135 candy canes, 100 gingerbread cookies and the Disney Characters? Why, you have the perfect recipe for Christmas at the Magic Kingdom!
- Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party Photography - Creative photos from Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
- Christmas dining options for Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Christmas menus.
- Thanksgiving dining options at Walt Disney World - All restaurants on property will be open as normal, but some are serving special Thanksgiving menus.
- New looks available for the holidays at Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique - Now through 1/3/14, little girls can choose from a Frozen Package or a Holiday Minnie Package.
- Santa Claus comes to Downtown Disney - At the Marketplace, you'll find Santa Claus waiting to greet you at his chalet in front of the World of Disney store.
- VIDEO: Josh Gad - Voice of Olaf in "Frozen" - Interview - Josh Gad, the voice of Olaf in "Frozen" and "World of Color - Winter Dreams" and Tony Award nominee for "The Book of Mormon", takes a few minutes to talk about how important it was to work on a Disney film that led to a theme park experience and the music behind it all.
- All guests at Pop Century will now use MagicBands - As of 11/14/13, guests at Pop Century will no longer receive a Key to the World card. All information for the resort and parks will be on the Magic Band you receive when you check in.
- Willie Nelson backs out of SeaWorld Orlando's Bands, Brew & BBQ event
- Disney obtains distrbution rights to future Indiana Jones films
- Family sues Disney when woman dies from complications after a fall
- Disney's PhotoPass+ changing to Memory Maker
- WestJet debuts Sorcerer Mickey plane
- Seaworld Orlando's Shamu show closes for 3 months
- Barenaked Ladies cancels SeaWorld concert due to animal rights issue
- 12-year-old girl protests SeaWorld parade float
- SeaWorld plans several events for early 2014
- Guest credit card info stolen by Universal Orlando employee
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|8:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:30
11:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 7:00
10:00 - 5:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Hollywood Studios