Laguna Beach - Disneyland Add on
Disney's Southern California Magic Package gives you the flexibility to combine your stay in Disneyland with a stay in Laguna Beach at the beautiful Laguna Surf & Sand Resort. Get a no obligation Disneyland Package Quote.
Laguna Beach Overview
by Regina Hinrichs
When I know that I’m heading to a new destination, I do exactly what you’re doing; I research and read about it. In the case of Laguna Beach, I went to a new extreme; I watched the MTV reality series “Laguna Beach.” Armed with everything I needed to know about Taylor, Talan, Jessica and Jason, I was equipped to maximize my time here.
We stayed at the fantastic Laguna Beach Surf & Sand Resort. Not only is it an amazing resort, it was featured in an episode of the TV show and is across the way from the Koffee Klatch. One thing I learned, the cast of Laguna Beach loved their coffee. There’s no better place to grab a Latte and get some local flavor.
There is much more to Laguna than being the backdrop of the TV show. Its roots are in the Arts which is evident in the galleries and specialty shops found throughout the area. In the summer, the Festival of the Arts, Sawdust Festival, Art-A-Fair and Pageant of the Masters takes place. In the fall there’s the Winter Fantasy and Laguna Arts & Craft Guild show. Occasionally, free concerts are scheduled by Laguna Beach Live. Year round the Laguna Playhouse features award winning performances at the Moulton Theater.
One thing I love doing when I travel is shop. Knowing that Laguna is an exclusive community, I assumed that the prices would be $$$$. I was amazed to find that many stores were well within my budget and I got some terrific souvenirs for my MTV addicted daughter. She was thrilled to be outfitted in “Laguna Beach” from head to toe, and I was happy that it didn’t cost a fortune.
Dining was another pleasant surprise. In upscale communities, you anticipate being served a stalk of asparagus with one scallop, and being handed a check equivalent to a mortgage payment. Not only were there tons of moderate priced restaurants, the staff was always friendly and welcoming.
For those of you who enjoy the great outdoors, Laguna is known for its Tide Pools. You can visit the Crystal Cove State Park, the Laguna Coast Wilderness Park, the Glenn E. Vedder Ecological Reserve, and the Aliso & Wood Canyons Wilderness Park. From mid-December to early April, you may be lucky enough to spot the gray whales during their annual migration as they pass the coastline. The Pacific Marine Mammal Center is a marine rescue center and is open to the public.
For something different, the Laguna Culinary Arts Cooking School offers hands-on cooking classes as well as wine tastings and instruction in Wine and Food Pairing. The Laguna Canyon Winery has the only public wine tasting room in Orange County.
Want to visit the destination made famous by the Four Preps? (Bet you thought it was the Beach Boys.) Head to Dana Point where you can catch a boat or catamaran to Catalina Island, the island of romance, romance, romance, romance. (Sorry, the song is stuck in my head.)
You’re probably saying “sounds great for grownups, but what about kids?” Of course, there are the beaches and the parks. There’s also the Balboa Fun Zone located on Balboa Island in nearby Newport Beach. Boomers in Irvine is a short drive away and has bumper boats, mini-golf, laser tag, rock wall, go karts, batting cages and game room. Irvine is also home to the Wild Rivers water park. Captain Dave’s Dolphin Safari will take you in search of dolphins and blue whales. At the Ocean Institute you can sail on a tall ship adventure.
Your teens will be able to conduct your own tour. Between the OC and MTV, they’ll be pointing out such landmarks as Wahoo’s Fish Tacos and the Thalia Street Surf Shop. Laguna is such a fun destination for this somewhat hard to please age group. (By the way, I’m just on pins and needles waiting for season 3 of “Laguna Beach” to begin. I wonder if Stephen will end up with Kristin or LC?)
Laguna Beach has a bit of everything. It’s upscale but at the same time, down to earth. They take great pride in their history and embrace the latest trends. You’ll find warm smiles at every turn, and bring back wonderful memories.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Cortona Inn & Suites
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/25/14
- Mickey's Halloween Party tickets sold out for 10/03/14 - Tickets for the 10/03/14 date for Mickey's Halloween Party at Disneyland are sold out. Other dates are still available.
- Blog - Beyond Aulani
- Blog - New Tour Review: The Disney California Story
- VIDEO: What's New at Aulani - Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa has many new offerings. Quick service at Ulu Cafe, kids splash zone at Keiki Cove, two new pools, and much more.
- Elsa & Anna's Boutique coming to Disneyland - Studio Disney 365 in Disneyland's Downtown Disney will be closing August 25th to make way for Elsa & Anna's Boutique.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/18/14
- Blog - The Good and Bad of the "Muppets Most Wanted" Blu-ray
- Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel Fall Discount Offer - Book a 3-night Disneyland Resort Package at a Good Neighbor Hotel for as little as $89 per person per night.
- Blog - Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel - Camelot Inn
- D23 Expo 2015 tickets are now on sale - Tickets for next year's D23 Expo are now on sale. The D23 Expo will be held August 14-16, 2015 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
- Blog - Disneyland Weekly Update - 08/11/14
- Happy 45th Birthday to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion! - This New Orleans Square attraction opened on August 9, 1969.
- Tickets for Knott's Scary Farm now on sale - Tickets are now on sale for Knott's Berry Farm's annual Halloween Celebration.
- Free Vinylmation with Disneyland Vacation Package - Book a vacation package to the Disneyland Resort this fall and receive a special Vinylmation figure inspired by Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas".
- D23 announces ticket pricing for D23 Expo 2015 - Tickets go on sale August 14th, 2014 (one year in advance) for the D23 Expo 2015 in Anaheim. Early Bird pricing is good through the end of the year.
- Guardians of the Galaxy print at Disneyland's Pizza Port - Spend $30 or more at Pizza Port and receive an exclusive Guardians of the Galaxy print, while supplies last.
- Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend adds Pixie Dust Challenge - The Pixie Dust Challenge has been added for runners who take on both the Tinker Bell 10K and the Tinker Bell Half Marathon.
- Save 20% on a room only reservation at Disneyland hotels - Book a premium room at Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel, Disneyland Hotel or Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and save 20%. Save 15% on a standard room.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- Disneyland's Mickey's Halloween Party tickets now on sale to the general public. - This event runs September 12-October 31, 2014.
- Disneyland military ticket offer extended to 2015 - The Disneyland Resort has extended their special military offer through 10/03/15, however beginning 08/25/14, the 3-Day Park Hoppers will increase slightly to $132.
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
The group launched at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World.
- Eight new "Disney Family of Wines" come to California Adventure
The wineries represented all have a personal connection to the Disney name.
- Small fire at Disneyland quickly extinguished
The fire was in a backstage area.
- runDisney announces Disneyland Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend
The event will take place January 15-18, 2015 at the Disneyland Resort.
- Disneyland Raises Ticket Prices Overnight
The Disneyland Resort raised prices on their tickets and annual passes overnight.