Backstage Magic Tour Review
by Kevin Klose
I consider myself a Disney veteran.
My first trip to Walt Disney World was in 1971. I have made countless other trips after that and finally moved to central Florida in 1994. I’ve had my annual pass every year since then. I have been to Disneyland numerous times. I have read extensively about Walt Disney and the creation of Disneyland and Disney World. I even find myself with a job that while not working for Disney, involves all aspect of Disney vacation planning. I have taken the Keys to the Kingdom Tour.
Ok…I admit it….I’m a Disney addict and a bit of a Disney snob.
It’s with this attitude that I approached the Backstage Magic Tour offered by Walt Disney World.
I had trepidations about signing up for a 7 hour tour of an area that I thought I knew pretty well. It was going to be one of those REALLY hot Orlando days. I had to be there at 8:30am. The tour goes to 3 parks that I know like the back of my hand. The cost was $199.00 (with a 15% discount for annual passholders). I did everything I could to back out. What were they going to tell me that I didn’t already know?
I was just as whiny as it sounds.
Let me tell you…..I was 1000% wrong
We met our tour leader in front of Epcot’s Guest Relations area. There were 12 of us. The tour is limited to groups of 20. We were given name tags and we were off.
Our first stop was just inside the park where we went backstage. You certainly lose perspective backstage. Things are much closer. The back of Guest Relations is very close to the back of the Living Seas. It’s hard to imagine when you think that if you enter the front gate at Epcot, you have a twenty minute walk to the Living Seas. Not so behind the scenes.
This was where I had my first surprise of the day. We were shown the way to a beautiful air conditioned tour bus. We were told that this would be our mode of transportation for the day. Upon boarding, we were offered chilled bottled water, which was available to us all day. We could even store the drinks we had brought in the ice chest. Nice touch huh? Completely unexpected.
The bus takes you around the backstage perimeter of Epcot to the back of the American Adventure pavilion. Just a note……backstage is a completely different experience than what the guests see. No frills, no landscaping….a bit bleak.
After getting off the bus, we walked to the front of the pavilion. As the World Showcase was not yet open, it was just us and a few Cast members getting the park ready for guests. As we stood in front of the building, our tour guide told us some interesting facts. The American Adventure was originally going to be built at the very front of World Showcase in between Canada and Mexico. This would have put Canada to America’s north and Mexico to the South. Clever Imagineers. This was not done as the building that houses the American Adventure had to be considerable larger that it’s northern and southern counterparts in order to hold the show that it does. It was decided that it would become the center piece of the World Showcase.
She told us that building uses a different sort of forced perspective. Most Disney building are built and situated as to look bigger. An example would be Cinderella Castle. Not the case with the American Adventure. They wanted it to look smaller to fit in with the other countries. She explained that the building façade was built using the same methods used to build building in the late 1700s. There are 110,000 hand formed red Georgia clay bricks in the façade. Another interesting fact….the flag on top of the building is unique. It has 15 stars and 15 stripes. The thought at the time was that a star and a stripe would be added for each state. The decision was that this would look unwieldy and that only a star would be added to the 13 original stripes. This is a small detail that the majority of the public would never notice, but Disney loves the details
We were taken backstage and downstairs to see how the show mechanism works. There are hundreds of facts and numbers given about this mechanism, but my describing it in words would just be frustrating. It’s truly an amazing piece of machinery. For the sake of time and space, I have abbreviated the description of this part of the tour. I was also asked not to give away all of the secrets.
So far, I’m impressed. This isn’t the same Disney trivia available in guide books.
Our next stop was Epcot Cast building. Each Epcot Cast member arrives for their work shift through this building. There are break areas, learning centers, costuming, employee computer access, a huge warehouse type room with a personal locker for each employee, a character makeup area and something I found intriguing….Disney tests each variety of carpet in this building. Whether it is for a resort, office, cruise ship, theme park…anywhere…..it is tested in the Epcot employee building. Disney realized that over 5,000 people would walk on this carpet twice a day. Quite a clever way to let the employees test the carpet huh?
We got back on our air-conditioned bus and headed out for Disney - MGM Studios.
End of Part One
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down extended through November 9 - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Walt Disney World exec leaves to head up Disneyland Paris
- SeaWorld no longer partnering with Southwest Airlines
- Walt Disney World 2015 packages now available to book
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00 pm
9:00 - 8:00 pm
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW