Backstage Magic Tour Review - Part 3
by Kevin Klose
DIS Content Editor
Backstage Magic Tour Part 3
Ok….let me re-cap. I didn’t really want to take this tour because I thought they were going to tell me things I had already heard and show me sights I had already seen. In other words…..I was jaded. The morning had proven that this wasn’t the case. I had already been surprised by the things I had seen and “secrets” I had been told.. But nothing prepared me for the rest of the day.
After leaving MGM, our bus took us behind the Magic Kingdom. As we approached the back entrance, our guide was asked about the security measures we had experienced. We had to have our bags checked upon entering Epcot, when the bus took us to MGM, a security guard boarded the bus and did another bag check and third was done upon entering the Magic Kingdom area. She explained that this was standard procedure. As a park veteran, I am aware of this being done in front of the parks, but I guess it never crossed my mind that it was being done behind the scenes as well. It made us feel good to know that Disney is that diligent.
Ok….now….as self proclaimed Disney fanatic….there are certain places that I never thought I’d get to go. Places that I have only seen in my imagination. Places that were just….untouchable. Well guess what…..not on this tour.
I was stunned when I was told that we would be visiting the Christmas warehouse and after she said it….I figured we’d be allowed to peek inside. Nope…..you get a full scale tour. It was amazing. As you walk through the floor to ceiling aisles, you can see the decorations for the different resorts. After Christmas, all of the decorations are brough back to the warehouse and stored. Once everything is back, the Christmas staff begins the process of refurbishing everything for the next year. Each tree is taken apart and redecorated. Ornaments, lights and the tree itself are check for wear or damage. Once redone, the tree is wrapped in plastic wrap and stored. This process is done methodically throughout the entire Disney property We got to watch a team of workers making new wreaths for Port Orleans Riverside. As a bow was attached, the folds were stuffed with tissue and each ornament individually wrapped. They too are wrapped in plastic wrap and stored for the next holiday season.
As we continued our tour, we came upon the Disney florist. We watched as the room, divided in two swarmed with Cast members. One side of the room does resort flowers. The huge centerpieces in hotel lobbies are an example. The other side of the room does the retail orders. One of the secrets I learned was that the gorgeous floral displays in the lobby of the Grand Floridian Resort are changed on Wednesday morning between 8am and 12pm. As the fresh flowers are put in place, the older flowers are given to whoever would like them. These are some amazing displays. You might want to stop by and get a bouquet.
After the florist came the Gift Basket room. We watched with desire as beautiful gift baskets were created.
As we left this area, I kept thinking that it was AMAZING that I had been able to see all that. It was then that our guide dropped the biggest bombshell. We were on our way to the Central Shoppes warehouse. This might not seem like a big deal…….but wait.
The Central Shops warehouse is the place that ride vehicles are built and the carousel horses are refurbished and the large fiberglass icons at the All Star resorts and Pop Century are made. The Sign department and the paint department and the department that makes the molds of all of the Small World kids are in this building and you get to walk by all of it. You are allowed to look, ask questions and in some circumstances actually touch this stuff.
***ok…I have to catch my breath****
You get a tour of the Audioanimatronic workshop. The guide explains that when Walt Disney World opened in 1971, Disney was using the A One animatronic model. Think of the Tiki Birds. They are now using the A 100 model. Abraham Lincoln in the Hall of Presidents, Ben Franklin in the American Adventure and Stitch in Stitch’s Great Escape are all A !00 audioanimatronic models.
I don’t; know how many of you go back as far as the 1982 opening of Epcot Center, but in the Land Pavilion in Future World, there was one of my favorite attractions. I adored the Kitchen Kabaret. It used to be in the place now occupied by Soarin..As the pavilion was sponsored by Kraft, the attraction was based on the old “4 food groups” philosophy.
At this point, you are probably wondering why I am telling you this. The reason is…..in the animatronic workshop, there is the original hostess of the Kitchen Kabaret. Her name is Bonnie Appetite. She is used to show the advances in audioanimatronic figures. While that is totally amazing…..it was also very nostalgic. It makes you realize that what once astounded you has been surpassed over and over. The differences in what was…and what is….are hard to describe.
It was at this point that I realized that anyone who is a Disney fanatic needs to take this tour. Yes…it’s expensive…..but the experience is beyond your imagination, and it’s not over yet.
After you leave this area behind the Magic Kingdom, you are taken to the backstage area inside the Magic Kingdom and allowed to enter the famed Utilidors. These are the tunnels beneath the Magic Kingdom. While everyone refers to them as tunnels, they actually are not. They are the first floor of the Magic Kingdom. They were built to allow Cast movement to go unseen by guests. After they were built, they were covered with the dirt that was removed to make the man made Seven Seas Lagoon. That’s the body of water between the Magic Kingdom and the Ticket and Transportation Center. When you walk down Main Street, you are actually on the 2nd floor. Hard to believe huh?
After your tour of the Utilidors……you re-enter the onstage area. We found ourselves in the middle of Main Street as the crowd was gathering. for the 3:o’clock parade. Our guide explained the names on the windows over the shops and then led us to a special place to watch the parade.
This was the end of the tour. We boarded our bus, were taken back to Epcot. Each tour participant was given a wonderful pin showing Mickey going through the Looking Glass. It’s not a pin that can be purchased, but only given to folks taking this Magical Tour.
As I started this whole tale……I didn’t want to take this tour.
I cant explain how happy I am that I did.
Where I thought this might ruin some of the magic, instead, it gives you a deeper appreciation for it and the sense of how many people and how much time shape every little detail.
I started out jaded and came out awestruck.
Go and see for yourself.
End of part three.
- Feel the Force Dining Event offers reserved viewing at Star Wars Weekends - This special dining event will give guests a VIP viewing location for the "Legends of the Force" motorcade, a nightly dessert party featuring Darth Vader cupcakes, and reserved viewing for the "Symphony in the Stars" fireworks show.
- Disney's Hollywood Studios plans for 25th Anniversary celebration - Schedule of events for May 1, 2014.
- Full list of celebrities attending Star Wars Weekends 2014 - New on the list this year are Mark Hamill and John Ratzenberger.
- Race dates for Disney's Marathon Weekend and Princess Half Marathon - List of all the individual race dates for both weekends.
- Happy 50th anniversary to it's a small world! - it's a small world opened at the New York World's Fair on April 22, 1964.
- Blog - Review: Epcot After Hours Wind Down
- Registration opens for the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon - Registration spots for the races fill up quickly. If you know for sure you want to participate in one of the events, we recommend you register as soon as possible.
- Happy 16th anniversary to Disney's Animal Kingdom - Disney's Animal Kingdom opened on April 22, 1998 - Earth Day.
- Thinking about booking your trip with a travel agent? - Why it's important to book with a travel agent that specializes in Disney vacations.
- Anna and Elsa meet and greet moves to Magic Kingdom today - These popular princesses will no longer be seen in Epcot's Norway pavilion.
- Planning to be at Disney World on Easter? - List of church services, dinners and special activities taking place at Walt Disney World on Easter.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- Disney guests to have access to extra FastPass+ each day
- First quarter earnings for Universal Orlando
- Cell phone charging stations added to Magic Kingdom
- Today Show to film at Universal Orlando on Friday
- James Cameron pleased with Disney's Avatar Land design
- Disney one of the world's most disappointing destinations?
- Universal Orlando painters sent to hospital
- Kickstarter campaign hopes to raise money for "Dark Side of Disney" film
- Disney plans four Star Wars children's books
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 7:00
10:00 - 6:00
10:00 - 6:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Hollywood Studios