Epcot - Mission Space
|Main Page||Future World||World Showcase|
|Map of Epcot||Mission: Space|
|Captain EO||Spaceship Earth|
|Imagination!||Universe of Energy|
|The Seas with Nemo and Friends||Restaurants/Dining|
|Turtle Talk with Crush||Shows and Events|
Mission: SPACE Overview
Opened: August 15, 2003
Ride Length: 5 minutes, 38 seconds
This attraction offers guests
a one-of-a-kind experience. Mission Space launches visitors into
a simulated space adventure with a pulse-pounding liftoff
followed by the sensation of weightlessness in outer
Upon entering the attraction you are brought into a queue area representing a futuristic International Space Training Center. Suspended on one of the walls is a huge Gravity Wheel along with a number of flags hanging from the ceiling, which gives the training center an international flair.
TIP: There are plenty
of intensity warnings before you get on the ride. When you experience this attraction, you need to keep your
head back and keep your eyes focused on the video screen
in front of you at all times. If you turn your head away
from the screen or close your eyes, you can become disoriented
and may develop motion sickness.
You have the option of choosing a less intense experience. You can choose to bypass the centrifuge (spinning action) of Mission SPACE. Just let the Cast Member know which version you prefer and you'll be directed to the appropriate queue.
Briefing Area #1
The ride begins with the launch countdown, and they throw in some psychological effects that help build the tension you might experience before a launch. As the countdown approaches, the seats tilt back into the launch position of facing the sky on your back. At lift off you feel the engines roar and blast off. The ride creates large G Forces, and a tremendous feeling of increasing speed as the craft escapes the Earth's gravitational pull.
As the flight continues there is a simulated feeling of weightlessness. Each member of the four people in the vehicle has a mission to accomplish during the simulated flight to Mars. Each mission's outcome depends on how well the team performs during the flight.
After the ride ends, you enter the attraction post ride area that features games that everyone can play. There is also be an interactive play area for kids and adults.
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests must transfer out of their wheelchair/ECVs for this attraction. Video captioning is available. Due to the nature of the experience, Guests with service animals are not permitted on this attraction.
Mission: SPACE Race
Mission: SPACE Race
Mission Space was created in collaboration with
former NASA advisors, astronauts and scientists, along
with the Walt Disney Imagineering team. The attraction uses new
technology, which makes it the first ride system to take attraction visitors straight up in
a simulated flight experience.
The vehicles interior are very detailed, having a large number of controls and displays in front of each seat, along with a joystick that each person uses. The vehicles front portion folds downwards and is used for loading and unloading the compartment.
The ride system was manufactured by Entertainment Technology
Corporation. ETC builds human centrifuges that create
2.5 G's [1 to 1.5 G's in one second!], large-scale intelligent
VR training simulators, to creating the next generation
of motion-based simulation attractions which allow sustained
G's and continuous 360º motion in up to four axes
on the ride.
- friendnc - "An awesome ride. Very realistic. Wonderful idea to add a lesser intense version for those who get motion sick. Great attraction."
- figment3258 - "I would not do this ride again. But that's just me. I have to try everything once and I did. I did not think I was claustrophobic until I went on this ride. It is very well themed and done. It does make you feel like you are going into space. I love roller coasters but this is just not for me."
More Mission Space Reviews
As you approach
the pavilion you will notice three planetary objects in the plaza outside
the building.The first is
of the Planet Earth, which has the "Mission Space" Logo with a Space vehicle appearing to be taking off
in front of it.
contains a series of railed off areas that separate
the Fast Pass return line visitors, from the Stand-By
line and the Single Riders Line.Digital displays
located overhead, let you know the wait time for each
Mission Space Hazardous to your health?
After more than anticipated "protein spills", Mission Space now has Motion Sickness bags handy for riders. Even if you usually don't have a problem with this, you may find that this attraction makes you queasy.
Riders of Mission Space in the age 55 plus bracket take note. Enough guests in this age group have been taken to the hospital after experiencing Mission Space that it’s become a concern.
The guests requiring medical attention had all complained of chest pain and nausea. The majority of them had pre-existing conditions, which are specifically mentioned in the posted warning notices.
With age being the common denominator of those taken to the hospital, adding warnings specifically for older riders may become necessary.
While there are no less than 13 warning signs addressing pregnancy, height minimums, motion sickness, high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, and a recommendation that you be in good health, none of the cautions specifically address riders who are over 55 years of age.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down extended through November 9 - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Blog - Review: "Guardians of the Galaxy" combines humor, action, and a stellar cast to become the perfect summer blockbuster
- All-Star Music food court closes for refurbishment - The Intermission Food Court will be closed 8/1/14-12/20/14 for refurb.
- New events added to Epcot International Food & Wine Festival - Late Nights LIVE! and new Premium Package events added.
- Astro Orbiter rehab extended by one week - Originally scheduled to end September 19, the ride will now reopen September 28.
- Food & Wine Festival Premium events now available for booking - This includes seminars, signature dining experiences and other special events.
- Changes coming to Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Street Party? - An update is rumored for this parade later this year, possibly around October. Possible changes are new music; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy and Donald moving to the top of the floats; and Stitch joining the fun. Sebastian, Lumiere, and The Mad Hatter will leave the parade.
- During pool rehab, Polynesian guests will have free admission to Blizzard Beach - Originally, the resort guests were just going to be given one-day tickets to the water park, but that has been changed. They will now have complimentary unlimited admission to Blizzard Beach during their stay at the Polynesian.
- List of restaurants participating in the 2015 Disney Dining Plan - This list will be updated as more restaurants are added. Epcot and Downtown Disney restaurants don't normally finalize their participation until later in the year.
- 2015 Magic Your Way Disney World packages released! - A Walt Disney World package is a resort room and theme park admission. The Disney Dining Plan may also be added.
- Happy 15th Birthday to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith! - The attraction originally opened its doors at Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 29, 1999.
- Victoria & Albert's will no longer accept Tables in Wonderland - This begins August 1, 2014.
- Summertime Pals Ink & Paint Cel release - This limited release will be available at the event, or pre-order by September 25 at 5:00pm EST.
- Haunted Mansion merchandise shop coming to Magic Kingdom - The former Yankee Trader shop will become a Haunted Mansion merchandise location in the near future. The decor will be inspired by Madame Leota and will carry items from the Haunted Mansion Authentic program, such as apparel, home goods, souvenirs and more.
- Merchandise Events and Artist Appearances/Signings for August - List of authors and artists coming to the theme parks for signings and merchandise releases.
- List of characters updated for Villains Unleashed! event - Over 50 Disney villains will be taking over the park until the 13th hour!
- Beginning today, PhotoPass print packages are no longer offered table-side at character meals - This includes Chef Mickey's, 1900 Park Fare, 'Ohana, Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue, Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show and Tusker House Restaurant.
- Disney Visa cardholders can book Food & Wine Festival events early - Disney Visa cardholders can book special events two days earlier than the general public - on July 29 and July 30 from 7:00am-11:00pm EST.
- Tables in Wonderland adds blackout dates for several restaurants - The Tables in Wonderland program offers Florida Residents, DVC members and Annual Passholders 20% off of all food and beverage purchases at the participating Disney restaurants.
- Information on Holiday sleigh rides at Fort Wilderness - This horse-drawn "sleigh" ride is a fun way to celebrate the season.
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Walt Disney World exec leaves to head up Disneyland Paris
- SeaWorld no longer partnering with Southwest Airlines
- Walt Disney World 2015 packages now available to book
- High-speed train will link Shanghai Disneyland to city
- "Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island" show cancelled at SeaWorld
- PBS plans Walt Disney biopic
- Release date set for 5th Pirates of the Caribbean film
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 11:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 7:00
9:00 - 8:00 pm
9:00 - 8:00 pm
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Epcot FW