Epcot - Mission Space
|Main Page||Future World||World Showcase|
|Map of Epcot||Mission: Space|
|Captain EO||Spaceship Earth|
|Imagination!||Universe of Energy|
|The Seas with Nemo and Friends||Restaurants/Dining|
|Turtle Talk with Crush||Shows and Events|
Mission: SPACE Overview
Opened: August 15, 2003
Ride Length: 5 minutes, 38 seconds
This attraction offers guests
a one-of-a-kind experience. Mission Space launches visitors into
a simulated space adventure with a pulse-pounding liftoff
followed by the sensation of weightlessness in outer
Upon entering the attraction you are brought into a queue area representing a futuristic International Space Training Center. Suspended on one of the walls is a huge Gravity Wheel along with a number of flags hanging from the ceiling, which gives the training center an international flair.
TIP: There are plenty
of intensity warnings before you get on the ride. When you experience this attraction, you need to keep your
head back and keep your eyes focused on the video screen
in front of you at all times. If you turn your head away
from the screen or close your eyes, you can become disoriented
and may develop motion sickness.
You have the option of choosing a less intense experience. You can choose to bypass the centrifuge (spinning action) of Mission SPACE. Just let the Cast Member know which version you prefer and you'll be directed to the appropriate queue.
Briefing Area #1
The ride begins with the launch countdown, and they throw in some psychological effects that help build the tension you might experience before a launch. As the countdown approaches, the seats tilt back into the launch position of facing the sky on your back. At lift off you feel the engines roar and blast off. The ride creates large G Forces, and a tremendous feeling of increasing speed as the craft escapes the Earth's gravitational pull.
As the flight continues there is a simulated feeling of weightlessness. Each member of the four people in the vehicle has a mission to accomplish during the simulated flight to Mars. Each mission's outcome depends on how well the team performs during the flight.
After the ride ends, you enter the attraction post ride area that features games that everyone can play. There is also be an interactive play area for kids and adults.
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests must transfer out of their wheelchair/ECVs for this attraction. Video captioning is available. Due to the nature of the experience, Guests with service animals are not permitted on this attraction.
Mission: SPACE Race
Mission: SPACE Race
Mission Space was created in collaboration with
former NASA advisors, astronauts and scientists, along
with the Walt Disney Imagineering team. The attraction uses new
technology, which makes it the first ride system to take attraction visitors straight up in
a simulated flight experience.
The vehicles interior are very detailed, having a large number of controls and displays in front of each seat, along with a joystick that each person uses. The vehicles front portion folds downwards and is used for loading and unloading the compartment.
The ride system was manufactured by Entertainment Technology
Corporation. ETC builds human centrifuges that create
2.5 G's [1 to 1.5 G's in one second!], large-scale intelligent
VR training simulators, to creating the next generation
of motion-based simulation attractions which allow sustained
G's and continuous 360º motion in up to four axes
on the ride.
- friendnc - "An awesome ride. Very realistic. Wonderful idea to add a lesser intense version for those who get motion sick. Great attraction."
- figment3258 - "I would not do this ride again. But that's just me. I have to try everything once and I did. I did not think I was claustrophobic until I went on this ride. It is very well themed and done. It does make you feel like you are going into space. I love roller coasters but this is just not for me."
More Mission Space Reviews
As you approach
the pavilion you will notice three planetary objects in the plaza outside
the building.The first is
of the Planet Earth, which has the "Mission Space" Logo with a Space vehicle appearing to be taking off
in front of it.
contains a series of railed off areas that separate
the Fast Pass return line visitors, from the Stand-By
line and the Single Riders Line.Digital displays
located overhead, let you know the wait time for each
Mission Space Hazardous to your health?
After more than anticipated "protein spills", Mission Space now has Motion Sickness bags handy for riders. Even if you usually don't have a problem with this, you may find that this attraction makes you queasy.
Riders of Mission Space in the age 55 plus bracket take note. Enough guests in this age group have been taken to the hospital after experiencing Mission Space that it’s become a concern.
The guests requiring medical attention had all complained of chest pain and nausea. The majority of them had pre-existing conditions, which are specifically mentioned in the posted warning notices.
With age being the common denominator of those taken to the hospital, adding warnings specifically for older riders may become necessary.
While there are no less than 13 warning signs addressing pregnancy, height minimums, motion sickness, high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, and a recommendation that you be in good health, none of the cautions specifically address riders who are over 55 years of age.
- Planning to be at Disney World on Easter? - List of church services, dinners and special activities taking place at Walt Disney World on Easter.
- Blog - Ranking our 5 Senses in Disney's Theme Parks
- Spots still available at Tables in Wonderland event on April 19 - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Menu items for Epcot After Hours Wind Down - Tickets, which can be reserved in advance, include one beverage and a selection of light snacks.
- Rehabs planned for two of Disney's golf courses - Disney's Magnolia Golf Course and Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course will be closed 5/21 - 6/4/2014.
- Guests at the Swan and Dolphin can now book their FastPass+ 60 days in advance - Onsite resort guests and guests at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance. Annual Passholders and offsite guests can make their reservations up to 30 days in advance.
- Blog - Actors Fund Gala Tickets Honoring Disney Theatricals on Sale Now
- Changes to Earl of Sandwich menu - Prices have increased by about 50 cents per sandwich. New sandwiches have been added and others have been removed.
- Epcot After Hours Wind Down lounges to be available - Stick around after IllumiNations for an evening at one of 4 exclusive lounges featuring food and beverages from award-winning Epcot chefs and sommeliers.
- Annual passholders can save up to 35% on WDW hotels, plus get free Memory Maker photos! - Guests will save up to 35% on their room, plus get free Memory Maker digital photos. Discount is valid for travel between 6/16/14 - 8/2/14.
- Blog - VIDEO: Disney reveals first look at animatronics and scenes inside Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Meet the Easter Bunny at the Magic Kingdom April 13-20 - The Easter Bunny will also have a special pre-parade appearance on 4/19 and 4/20/14. He will be joined by other springtime characters, dancers and the Azalea Trail Maids.
- Carbon-Freeze Me experience at Star Wars Weekends to offer X-Wing Pilots and more - In addition to the carbonite figure, last year's Stormtrooper will be available, as well as two new figurines - an Alderaan Princess and X-Wing Pilot.
- Blog - Third Annual Easter Egg Display at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Easter activities and special dining menus at Walt Disney World resorts - List of events planned at Walt Disney World resorts.
- Blog - Disney Infinity Teases Marvel & Confirms Version 2.0
- October 2014 Walt Disney World park hours released - List of times for parades, fireworks, and park hours.
- Blog - What To Expect When You're...Cruising with Disney and a Baby: Part 2
- Big Thunder Mountain closed for 2 days for rehab - The attraction will be closed 4/7-4/9/14.
- Surprising your family with a trip to Disney? Check out our tips! - Surprising the kids with a Disney vacation is part of the thrill for some parents. Others would love to do it, but aren’t sure how to pull it off. Here are some different approaches to creating that special surprise for your family!
- Blog - New Lawsuit Attacks Disney’s New Disability Access Service
- VIDEO: Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party at Epcot - Enjoy a special fireworks viewing area and desserts from around World Showcase paired with sparkling wines.
- Tables in Wonderland event at Golden Oak's Markham's restaurant - For this special evening, guests will dine at the exclusive Markham's restaurant at Disney's Golden Oak Club, Walt Disney World's private residential community.
- Blog - Review: Epcot's new IllumiNations Sparkling Dessert Party
- Blog - Review: Epcot Gardens of the World Tour
- Dates announced for Sounds Like Summer Concert series - The Sounds Like Summer Concert Series features some of the greatest tribute bands rockin' to U2, The Bee Gees, the Eagles and many more during select nights from June to July.
- Night of Joy tickets now on sale - Disney's Night of Joy features contemporary Christian performers. The star-studded lineup is always outstanding and features a host of Dove Award and Grammy Award winning artists.
- Blog - DVC Owner To File Class Action Demanding More FastPass+ Experiences
- Blog - Walt Disney World is now selling MagicBands to Offsite Day Guests
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - The American Adventure - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - The American Adventure, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - World Showcase - Italy - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at World Showcase - Italy, February 12, 2014 - Afternoon
- Parking prices increase at Walt Disney World - Prices have increased $2 for each category.
- VIDEO: Disney Park Bench - Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame - Take 5 Minutes to Relax at Echo Lake - Academy Hall of Fame, February 12, 2014 - Morning
- Cirque du Soleil discount offered for Tables in Wonderland members - Discounted tickets are available for performances April 1-May 10 and May 27-June 28, 2014.
- Tables in Wonderland Flower and Garden Festival Special Dining Event - This buffet will bring Tables in Wonderland members together during the Festival for dinner and drinks, then you will head to the Flower Power Concert series to hear the sounds of The Grass Roots.
- Fittipaldi Cup racing event planned for Walt Disney World Speedway - The Exotic Driving Experience and 2014 Rolex 24 winner Christian Fittipaldi are putting on a half-day racing event at the Walt Disney World Speedway.
- Grand Floridian hosts Edible Easter Egg Display - This is the third year the resort has hosted the display of hand-painted edible Easter eggs; the eggs are 16 to 20 inches tall.
- Star Wars-themed character meals at Hollywood Studios! - For a limited time, guests will have the opportunity to dine with Star Wars characters or Disney characters dressed up in their Star Wars costumes.
- New 2015 Disney Crusie Line Destinations - Disney Cruise Line has added new destinations for 2015! For the first time, the Disney Magic will set sail for Northern Europe, visiting the Norwegian fjords, Iceland and the Faroe Islands. Seven- and nine-night sailings will depart from Copenhagen, Denmark and will immerse guests in the Viking history of this mystical land, which served as the backdrop for Disney's blockbuster film Frozen. Sail past mountains, glaciers, geysers and fjords and stop in port cities reminiscent of storybook villages.
- Kouzzina by Cat Cora to close September 30 - A new restaurant will open in its place this fall.
- Blog - Saying Farewell to Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade at Animal Kingdom
- Blog - The Dream of Retiring to Central Florida
- Egg-stravaganza Easter egg hunt planned for Epcot - Search for special hidden Disney character "eggs" at Epcot.
- Blog - Review: “Muppets Most Wanted” Now Touring Worldwide and in Theaters!
- Blog - Five Reasons You Should Go See 'Muppets Most Wanted' This Weekend
- Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker - will be attending Star Wars Weekends! - This will be the actor's first appearance at Star Wars Weekends.
- PEEPS-themed Easter events planned for the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin - The resort will be celebrating a PEEPtastic week 4/16 - 4/20/14.
- Brunch planned to debut new Disney Collection by Vera Bradley design - "Mickey's Perfect Petals" will be showcased at the brunch and will be available for purchase.
- Blog - New Frozen Merchandise at Disney Parks
- Extended preview of Maleficent film at Disney's Hollywood Studios - The upcoming Maleficent film, starring Angelina Jolie, opens in theaters May 30. Theme park guests can see an extended preview of the film beginning April 18 and running through mid-June.
- Food Truck Park to open at Downtown Disney - The Food Truck Park is currently under construction and should open this summer between Bongos and Starbucks.
- Blog - Review: Disney's 'Saving Mr. Banks' Now Available On Blu-ray, DVD, & Digital Download
- Blog - Review: "Frozen" Blu-ray Hits Shelves
- Blog - Top 10 Reasons Why March 18th Is The Best Day Ever For Disney Fans
- SeaWorld Orlando offers summer camps for kids
- Walt Disney World offers new contract to unions
- Disneyland restaurants honored by food critics
- SeaWorld to host Viva la Musica Festival
- Disney plans baseball pitching contest for $1 million prize
- Court denies SeaWorld's appeal of OSHA ruling
- Samsung Smart TV app available for Disney Parks
- Disney Cruise Line crew member arrested for alleged molestation
- Record number of visitors to Orlando in 2013
- Disney releases CGI video of new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train attraction
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|8:00 - 1:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
8:00 - 9:30
9:00 - 8:00
10 - 7:00
10:00 - 7:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom
Extra Magic Hour Evening: Magic Kingdom