Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain
|Restaurants and Shops|
Opened: January 15, 1975
Ride length: 2 minutes, 30 seconds
Space Mountain remains amazingly popular after 30+ years. Compared to today's rollercoasters, it's fairly simple. There are no upside down loops and at 28.7 mph, it's not as fast as it's more modern counterparts, but it's the theming that sets it apart.
There you are in your rocket ship. You hear that familiar rollercoaster 'clack, clack, clack' as you head up, up, up to the peak. Next thing you know, you're blasting through space.
It's black as night, 'stars' are everywhere and you're in orbit as you careen along the twisting and turning track. 60 speakers featuring "Starry-O Phonic Sound" are installed throughout the attraction, so riders will hear "a zippy musical track, the whoosh of passing asteroids, and the rush of interstellar traffic."
Before you know it, your hair's a mess, you're trying to haul yourself out of the rocket and planning on going on Space Mountain again and again.
Space Mountain usually has a long wait. The queue is also a hike. Don't think that once you get inside you'll be on the ride in 5 minutes. Your best bet is using FastPass or heading to this attraction first thing in the morning when the park opens.
Tip: This ride is not recommended for those with back or neck problems.
Walt Disney World warns that this ride may be too intense for very young children. A height restriction of 44" is in effect and children under the age of 7 must be accompanied by an adult. Parents may choose the "switching off" option here, ask the Cast Member at the entrance for assistance.
New Photopass options - You may now purchase your Space Mountain photo ( also receive a special Space Mountain photo card) as a print while in the Space Mountain Merchandise shop. You can't get it printed at any of the other Photopass centers. You also have the option of purchasing a digital download from the Photopass website or combined with other bonus digital content on a Disney themed USB drive.
Handicapped Accessibility: Guests using ECVs must be able to transfer to a wheelchair and then to the ride vehicle.
Fun Facts: The Space Mountian attraction at Walt Disney World is over 180 feet high, and over 300 feet in diameter, making it one of the largest 'mountains' in Florida.
- Swim Spence - "The best ride at MK! In the dark, drops are amazing as well as the new sound is nice!"
- JEThompson99 - "Nothing like a coaster in the dark! This is a classic that still throws me for some thrills. Multiple rides are a must if the line is short!"
More Space Mountain Reviews
- Marketplace menus for Epot International Food & Wine Festival - List of menu items for the marketplaces set up around World Showcase.
- Rehab planned in November for Magic Carpets of Aladdin - The Magic Kingdom attraction will be closed 11/10 - 11/21/2014.
- Food & Wine Festival Special Dining Experiences released - Bookings for these experiences begin July 31.
- 10 Places to Wait Out a Thunderstorm at Walt Disney World
- Disney Castaway Cay Challenge added to Princess Half Marathon Weekend - Runners who are registered for any of the Disney races (5K or longer) during the Weekend have the option to complete the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge when sailing on the Disney Dream February 23-27.
- Fantasia Miniature Golf Course rehab planned off and on for the next two weeks - Gardens Course closed 7/22-7/25/2014, 7/28-8/1/2014, 8/4-8/8/2014. The Fairways will still be open.
- Blog - I Can Go The Distance: Deciding is one thing, registering is another
- Save up to 30% on a Room Only reservation at Walt Disney World! - Valid for stays most nights 10/4/14 - 11/25/14 and 11/29/14 - 12/23/14.
- 2015 WDW hotel discount released for U.S. Military - Valid for stays most nights 9/28/14 - 10/3/15.
- All 3 remaining weekends sold out for Harambe Nights - July 26, August 2 and August 9 are sold out.
- Annual passholder discount for Spice Road Table - Through 9/17/14, Annual Passholders can get a 30% discount on their bill.
- 2015 Military Ticket Discount info released - Members of the military can purchase 4-day Magic Your Way tickets with Park Hopper option for $177 each.
- Changes to reservation times for Wishes Dessert Party - Reservations are all being set for 6:00pm, no matter when Wishes is taking place. The dessert party will actually take place one hour before Wishes.
- Frozen Summer Fun Premium package is sold out for all remaining dates - This package gives guests at Frozen Summer Fun Live reserved viewing for several events.
- Wild by Design tour to be discontinued after 9/26/14 - This tour takes place at Disney's Animal Kingdom.
- Fantasy Football Convention coming to ESPN Wide World of Sports - The convention will give attendees access to ESPN talent, a live fantasy football draft and more.
- Blog - Sneak Preview of What's Coming to the 2014 Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
- Dates and pricing released for ICE! at Gaylord Palms - Using two million pounds of ice, this Gaylord Palms Resort special ticket exhibit will be transformed into the North Pole.
- Blog - Disney's Magical Express Age Limit Changes: A Parent's & Teacher's Perspective
- Blog - Five Reasons Why We're Not Seeing "Planes: Fire & Rescue" in Theaters
- Blog updated - I Just Spent $20 on FastPasses! Would You? - The author has taken the tour she discussed in the blog - check out her thoughts to see if she would do this again!
- Blog - July 2014 Magic Kingdom Construction Update
- Information for Food & Wine Festival special dining experiences - book 7/31 - Premium events will be announced July 24 and can be booked on July 31 beginning at 7:00am EST. To book, call 407-WDW-FEST (939-3378).
- Princess Half Marathon fills in less than 24 hours - The Princess Half Marathon, the Princess Enchanted 10K and the Glass Slipper Challenge are sold out, filling less than 24 hours after registration opened.
- Dolphins at Epcot will be offstage through August 7 - Guests will not be able to see the dolphins at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. The Dolphins in Depth Tour will be unavailable during this time as well.
- Changes in parking due to Downtown Disney Remodel - Speeds in the area will be reduced, as well as lanes closed. Buena Vista Drive will be expanded to 10 lanes.
- Blog - Disney Responds to Disability Access Service Lawsuit
- Man arrested at Typhoon Lagoon for molesting 4 teenage girls
- Standby line to be cut off in Anna and Elsa meet and greet
- Disney's second quarter injury report: 12-year-old boy cuts fingers on Pirates ride
- 30 years in prison for man who molested girl at SeaWorld
- Possible agreement reached between Disney and unions
- Disney's CEO Bob Iger honored as CEO of the Year by Chief Executive magazine
- Trattoria al Forno to replace Cat Cora's Kouzzina at Disney World
- Technical glitch causes Universal's Transformers ride to stall
- Report: Monorail evacuated after lightning strike
- Military resource support group launches for Disney cast members
Today's Theme Park Hours
Epcot Future World:
Epcot World Showcase:
|9:00 - 12:00
9:00 - 9:00
11:00 - 9:00
9:00 - 10:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
9:00 - 8:00
Extra Magic Hours Morning: Magic Kingdom